Monday, March 22, 2010

Just a little more done.


 








Well things are moving right along here. I took a little time to work on my Son’s CBB. We had a record breaking snow here in our town. It was too cold to go outside.  So I just sat around the table with the misses and son and glued in my frets to the fret board.

It is nothing special, no store bought fret wire, just RC steering linkage. Stuff is really a hardened steel rod. I had already cut the fret slots. I used the miter box saw with a hack saw blade clamped to the side of it. Of course the hack saw blade is turned over and I use the smooth side as a stop gauge. This controls my depth and leaves me with a level cut.

I took the cut fret board to the Hobby shop and picked up a wire that just set in the saddle. I then took a tooth pick and carefully filled up each cut for the fret with Elmer’s wood glue and then set the rod (pre cut and filed smooth on each end) on top of the grove. I’m hoping, the glued trough and the rod will marry up and stay. I’ve had good luck with my 4 string so far and used the same method. They say that stuff called Title Bond is good stuff. But I already have the Elmer’s and the last bottle of that I had turned to putty due to lack of use. So I’ll use this up then buy better.

 








Every time I try and photo this thing it is a nightmare and one heck of a challenge to get it all in the photo. I could not stand it no more I had to measure this rascal. It is longer than I thought it is 40 ½ long. This is from the outside edge of the box to the tip end of the neck. The box is 12” x 9”. It should make a good bass guitar. I think I will amplify it with a Peso and no pot. My boy said he controlled his volume at the amp so a simple setup should leave it with a super clean look. I did a little gluing and noticed during my bracing I must have put a little too much pressure on the inside and forced out the dovetail of one of the corners. I’ll probably just ease a little glue in the gaps and leave it alone. Sometimes leaving something alone can be a good thing. I’ve learned that the hard way too.


I thought I would throw in a shot of my CBG's together.  I wanted to see how much longer the Bass will be. Won't be long until it is ready for strings. I think I'll give it a good rub down with Toung Oil. That should help the dry wood a lot. The smaller cigar box seemed to have a finish.  Don't know what I'll do next.

I have to say, looks like our possible new house thing is moving along well. We did have a setback with the Home Inspection today. There seems to be something wrong with the gas at the meter. This should be taken care of over the next couple of days. It’s good there is an inspection required. Sometimes think I know a lot about things. It is better to leave this with someone that does it for a living. Knowing too much has been known to get me in trouble. I am to meet with him once his inspection is complete. Due to the gas he was not able to complete the inspection.


I stumbled across this at a pawn shop. I know with the upcoming new house, I won't have time to make my 6 string. I could not resist this for practicing around the house.  I have learned that a strummer is a strummer and a classical is on a different level. I have a nice classical my wife give me and it has a beautiful tone but cords just don't measure up on our church music It is a simple Epiphone and does have a preamp built in. It has a pretty good sound. I don’t know how old the strings are and I debating on changing them out if only to know myself exactly how old they are. What ya think?




3 comments:

  1. Tigger you're going to have to post to audio clips when you start playing them. Hope all turns out good on the new crib.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great. I can't wait to hear them play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled upon this blog through tffguy's and have to say I'm happy to have found you as I have a keen interest in music and CBG's.

    I'm in the process of scavenging parts for my first build.

    ReplyDelete